A guest post from Carole Connolly of Life Matters:
As I was belting out an Alanis Morisette song today the line ’Your Sweater’s on backwards and inside out’ reminded me of how often I am more productive and creative when I make a conscious choice to do something completely new, back to front or upside down.
Doing things, over and over again, in the same way, creates pathways in the neural networks of our brain so that things become automatic, which is great for remembering the route to work and how to type but not so great when coping with change, thinking creatively or problem solving.
Ben Fletcher, creator of the ‘Do Something Different behaviour change technique’ estimates that we live our lives on auto-pilot for around 90% of our day, which means that we are only consciously choosing how to behave for 10% of or day!
So, in no particular order (obviously!), here are some tips to get your creative juices flowing, bring a lightness into your day and put you back in the driving seat.
I guarantee that they will have a ripple effect on the rest of your week!
- Start your day with something that is purely for pleasure. Watch an episode of Breaking Bad before the business plan, or have a sing along to a favourite song prior to social media.
- Write a ‘What I won’t do today’ List – this is such a liberating thing to do!
- Select a weird and wonderful font in a crazy colour when you’re struggling to get something on the page! Helps to see things more lightly and you can change it back when you’re done!
- Change your mind– Yes, do a U-turn! Don’t do something that you had intended to do just because it’s on your list. Go off-piste and do something that you hadn’t intended to do. Go see a film or read a book in a genre you wouldn’t normally consider. Or try a class you haven’t done before at the gym.
- Change your attire – if you usually hang out in your trakkies – put your ‘face on’ and dress to impress, even if no one will see you! If it’s more your style to be suited and booted, then resist the urge and stay in your jammies for the day.
- Eat exactly what you fancy today. Ice-cream for elevense’s anyone? Or porridge for supper?
So if YOU fancy being a routine rebel for a day, I’d love to hear what you will turn on its head this week?
If you’re serious about this rebellion, then how about taking a complete break from the routine of life and giving yourself an early Xmas pressie, by joining us at the Mindfulness Retreat.
About the author: Carole Connolly is a Mindfulness Teacher, Trainer & Coach who supports people to build resilience to life’s challenges and prioritise what matters. Visit www.life-matters-uk.com for more information.